Wednesday, April 7, 2010

One Last Post
















I was going through the photos tonight and reminiscing a lot about the trip. This trip was so special to me for many reasons: for one, it was the first time being there with Rob. Having him there with our family was wonderful. He added so much by being there. My family has never taken photos on our trips except with those disposable cameras (no, I'm NOT kidding!) and I was always the only one with a real camera, but I was never great at taking a lot of good photos either. So he added a photographer to the family, as well as a DJ (he kept playing that song "You put the lime in the coconut" along with some other island songs when he thought we could use some tunes) and he made great breakfasts and cocktails! But most of all, his humor and laid back attitude ~ just Rob being Rob ~ was such a great addition to our family.
Also, since this was my first trip back to Kauai in 8 years, it was my first time there with Abby Grace! She's been there twice before but both times I had work or school or both, so I couldn't make it. Having her there with us was incredibly special. She's at such a neat age, life is good and full of wonder. I loved getting to be a part of her world and have her be a part of mine on this trip. I will treasure the time we had there together forever.
Since my brother lives a couple of hours away, I rarely see him, but I miss him a lot. So it was great having him there, and also great that he and Rob got to know each other. I think they hit it off too well, because I barely saw Rob the whole trip! He was off taking adventures with my brother, but I'm glad they had fun.
My mind keeps returning to the family style luau that we went to and I can't seem to forget the family we met that did the luau. We kept running into them in Hanalei, because the north shore is such a small community. We ran into Caroline the next morning getting coffee at Java Kai's and then ran into her husband the morning after that when we were getting breakfast at the resort in Princeville. I'm sure it sounds crazy but I don't care because I'm just being honest about how I feel, but I felt like they were my people. Like my tribe. It felt like I'd known them forever, and thinking of them makes me want to cry, because I felt like we'd just met them, and then we left. It was like I was reunited with long lost friends, then separated. It's really hard to explain, but it's true. I have such a deep connection to that place and to the people there. When we all sang "Aloha Oe" that night at the luau, I felt like I was with my family (well I was) but I also felt like I was home in a way I've never felt before.
Now that I've gone on and on about it, maybe our Kauai blog is really done. Or maybe not. Maybe I'll write more about Kauai or Kauai memories here from time to time...because it makes me happy.
Aloha Mau Loa,
Jeneka

No comments:

Post a Comment